MOUNT TAM SUNSITE TO MOONSET
2021 PHOTO CONTEST
Photograph of Marin Headlands, Southwest Site
OFFICIAL RULES AND GUIDELINES
2021 Mount Tam Sunrise to Moonset Photo Contest
October15, 2021 – November 30, 2021
Viewers’ Choice Awards: December 15, 2021
General Contest Information:
Mount Tam Media (MTM) is committed to finding new, innovative ways to awaken our senses and support those working to reconnect people and especially children with nature through education, urban design, architecture, conservation, public health and many other disciplines. This section of our website will ultimately be a resource for regional programs, with nature-based ideas and tools for teachers and families, activities, and events.
The cosmic dance of life allows us the invitation to consider looking at nature and life through a different lens. Mount Tam Media’s “Sunrise to Moonset Human to Nature” photo contest invites you to participate in expanding our senses and encouraging us to rethink our relationship with nature. They say you can’t photograph what you can’t see, so we are eager to discover new hidden treasures only seen through your special lens. The winner of “Sunrise to Moonset” will be the one who captures something that ignites our senses and intuitive interconnectedness with nature.
- The co- sponsor of “Sunrise to Moonset – Human to Nature“ photography contest is the Collectors Photography Gallery, (CPG) 105 Corte Madera Town Center, Corte Madera, CA 94925.
- Contestants will take and submit photographs that include Nature of the Mt Tam Area, such as woods, streams, waterfalls, landscape, or the Mountain itself. MTM is seeking images that illustrate the beauty and benefits but also ignite our emotions by capturing something that will encourage people to spawn a new, awakened relationship with Mother Earth. Concepts and topics to consider* are:
- Beauty: scenic shots of landscape and wildlife from all seasons and parts of the Mt Tam Area.
- Recreation: people of all ages exploring nature, enjoying hiking, biking swimming, etc.
History and Legacy: images that convey the value of the Mt Tam and Marin Headlands in shaping the past, present, and future; depict multiple generations at spending outdoor activities around Mt tam; or illustrate the importance of a legacy of nature.
Who May Enter:
- The contest is open to both amateur and professional photographers.
- You must be at least 15 years old to submit a photograph in this contest. If you have not reached the age of majority in your jurisdiction of residence at the time of entrance, then your parent or legal guardian must enter on your behalf.
- You must currently reside in one of the 50 states of the United States of America,or the District of Columbia.
- Employees of the Mount Tam Media, their immediate family members (spouse, parent, child, sibling, and their respective spouses), and persons living in the same household of employees of the Mount Tam Media (whether related or not) are not eligible to enter this contest.
OFFER IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
How to Enter:
- Submissions will be accepted beginning on October 15, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time and ending on November 30, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time.
- To enter, you must visit mounttammedia.com/photocontest and complete the entry form with the required information, including your name, address, location of photo, telephone number, and e-mail address.
- You also need to acknowledge that you have read, understand and agree to be bound by these Official Rules. By submitting an entry, you warrant that your entry complies with all the requirements set out in these Official Rules.
- All photographs must be in digital format, although they need not be taken with a digital camera. Scans are acceptable, provided they meet the requirements of these Rules.
- Only online entries will be accepted.
- You may submit up to three (3) photos, provided the photos you submit are no larger than 25 megabytes total. Each photo must have a caption. All images must be submitted as high-resolution JPEG files. Each photo must be at least 8×10 (or 2400×3000) at 300 dpi and three (3) megabytes or larger. If you submit any photo that falls below this high resolution standard, that photo will be ineligible for this contest.
- Submitted photographs must be the original photograph of the entrant and must be the property of the entrant.
- Photographs must not infringe any copyright or trademark rights or violate any rights of privacy or publicity.
- Photos that contain obscene, defamatory, sexually explicit or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate content will be disqualified in MTM’s sole discretion.
- Photos must have been taken no more than five years before the date of entry into this contest, and may not have been published previously in exchange for monetary payment.
- Only minor editing of the photographs is acceptable. Extensively manipulated images will not be eligible.
If any of your photographs depicts any identifiable person(s), you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of such photograph, a release signed by such person(s) (or, in the case of a minor, his or her parent or legal guardian). A copy of the releases to be signed can be found here: www.mounttammedia.com/photocontest. You must send a copy of all required release(s) to MTM within seven (7) days of the date of your submission. You can e-mail the release(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org or you can mail them to: Tami Larson, Mount Tam Media, 775 East Blithedale Ave #233, Mill Valley, CA 94941.
- The first place winner will receive $1000 and a one-year membership to MTM. The winning photograph also will be displayed on the MTM website, in a MTM e-newsletter, and in Mill Valley Living magazine. The winner of this contest will receive a 3 person portfolio and website review from the team at Collectors’ Photography Gallery, including owner and former SF Camerawork board member Ken Hoffman, gallery manager and archival imaging specialist Kristy Headley, and Art History and Sotheby’s Art Business Program graduate Eve Anderson. This is a $450 value. The review will include a goal assessment and critical feedback with strategic guidance on how to get artwork to the next level, whether that’s a gallery exhibit, becoming an assignment photographer or getting foot in the door to do documentary work et cetera.
- The second place winner will receive $500 and a one-year membership to MTM. In addition, the second place winning photograph will be displayed on the MTM website, in a MTM e-newsletter and in MTM’s magazine.
- The Third Place winner will receive $250 and a one-year membership to MTM. In addition, the third place winning photograph will be displayed on the MTM website, in a MTM e-newsletter and in MTM’s magazine.
- The Viewers’ Choice winner will receive a one-year membership to MTM. In addition, the Viewers’ Choice winning photograph will be displayed on the homepage of the MTM website, in a MTM e-newsletter and in Mill Valley Living magazine.
- Mount Tam Media will send an e-mail to and/or call all winners on or before December 5, 2021. Therefore, it is very important that your submission has a valid e-mail address and telephone number. Each winner must complete additional forms as requested by Mount Tam Media, in order to receive a prize.
- In the event of an unclaimed prize or the failure to return any required documents by the stated deadline, MTM reserves the right to select an alternate winner or not award the prize.
- Prizes are not transferable, nor are there substitutions or cash redemptions, except at Mount Tam Media’s discretion if the prize becomes unavailable.
- No purchase necessary. A purchase will not increase your chances of winning.
- The odds of winning are dependent on the number of entries received.
- Judging of top three prizes: Official judging of these three awards will be performed by a panel of MTM and CPG staff. Judges will make their selections based on subject matter, composition, focus, lighting, uniqueness, and impact. All voting decisions are final and at the discretion of MTM.
- Judging of the Viewers’ Choice Award: Judging will be done by the public through an online photo gallery of select images chosen by MTM and Collector’s Photography Gallery staff in accordance with the above judging guidelines (subject matter, composition, focus, lighting, uniqueness, and impact). The online gallery will launch December 10, 2021, at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time and will run until December 17, 2021, at 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time, at which time voting will be closed. The public may vote as many times as they like. Images will not be reviewable prior to the gallery launch. The winner of the Viewers’ Choice award is eligible for other photo contest prizes. In the event of a tie, the winner will be chosen by a panel of MTM and CPG judges.
Only winners will be notified of the contest outcome, but you can view a list of the winners, which will be posted online at www.mounttammedia.com/photocontest by December 5, 2021, at 5:00 pm Pacific Time, and will remain posted until at least December 15, 2021, at 5:00 pm Pacific Time. The list of winners will also be published in Mill Valley Living magazine and on the official Mount Tam Media website. A hard copy will be sent upon written request to the address above, if such request is received by December 8, 2021.
Other Important Information:
- All entrants retain their copyright rights in and to the photographs that they submit. By entering this contest, all entrants grant MTM the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to reproduce, distribute, publicly display, publish, and create derivative works of all photograph entries in connection with MTM’s mission in any media now known or hereafter developed, including in MTM publications, on websites, and other promotional materials, as well as on merchandise. MTM does not need to obtain additional consent from entrants relating to, or to notify entrants prior to, the use of any submitted photographs. MTM will credit the photographer when feasible in MTM’s sole discretion. In addition, MTM reserves the right to edit captions.
- Entries become the property of MTM and will not be returned. MTM is not liable for lost, late, illegible, misdirected, damaged, incomplete, incorrect, or postage-due entries.
- By submitting a photograph in this contest, the entrant grants MTM the irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right to use the entrant’s name, city and state in connection with publicity regarding the contest and in connection with the use of the entrant’s photograph(s).
- All taxes are the sole responsibility of the winners.
- The Mount Tam Media is not responsible for any tampering with this contest (e.g., hackers, viruses, automated entry devices, and other). The Mount Tam Media reserves the right to terminate or modify the contest at any time in case of technical failures or other issues outside of its control. MTM also reserves the right to disqualify anyone who violates these Official Rules.
- By entering this contest, all entrants agree to release and hold harmless the Mount Tam Media, its employees and agents, from all claims, losses, damages and liabilities arising out of their participation in this contest and the acceptance of any prize awarded hereunder.
- This contest shall be governed by the laws of the State of California, without regard to its conflict of law rules. The forum for any dispute shall be in San Rafael, California.